Searching for expat rentals in Phnom Penh can often be a stressful and daunting task, especially if you are an expat who is new to town. Here at Realestate.com.kh, we've compiled a top 5 list of advice and tips, to ensure your next rental home search will be a great experience.
There are no shortage of agents who are ready to assist you finding expat rentals in Phnom Penh - from fully registered agencies, right through to "work from home agents." In fact, you can bet even the good old tuk tuk driver will know a few places for rent if you ask them.
But how do you weed out the good from the bad when searching for quality agents with expat rentals in Phnom Penh? How do you save the time & stress when searching for an expat rentals property?
- Ask your friends or colleagues if they know a great agent: Chances are, if they’ve been in Phnom Penh for a number of years, your friends, family and acquaintances would of dealt with several agents before, and can share their experiences with you. Find out who helped them to secure their expat rentals in Phnom Penh, and learn as much as you can from that experience.
- Use an a professional agency: Professional run agencies such as the “featured agents” listed at the top of Realestate.com.kh’s “Find an Agent” section, are well established, and, in some cases, this list includes some particularly expat orientated agencies. Professional agencies with an expat focus should have a full range of listings on Realestate.com.kh and on their own website, fluent English agents, great market insight and experienced with Cambodian rental agreements. As they offer a free service to potential tenants, professional agencies should be your first call. Some current “Featured Agents” who specialize in expat rentals in Phnom Penh include Yong Yap Property, IPS Cambodia, Knightrank Cambodia.
- Does the agent understand your requirements? It takes time to visit properties and you don't want to waste half a day viewing properties that are not relevant. There are agents out there who only hear your budget of $500 and do not care that you want to live in a specific area or that a large balcony is the most important feature you require. Ask the agent to show you photos of the property first to save time.
- Check their referrals: Quality agents have a track record of happy clients and would be proud to show you some positive feedback from their previous clients. If they have a testimonial section on their website or feedback on facebook, see what previous clients have said about the agent's service. Don’t forget to consider their after-sales support track record - this is often the difference between an average agent and a very good one.
- Attention to detail: Does the agent respond emails/phone calls in a reasonable amount of time? Does the agent show up to appointments on time? Do they dress smartly? All these signs give you an indication of the type of agent they are, and the standard of service that they are likely to bring to you. If the agent makes the effort to present in a professional manner to you, it's a safe bet that they'll provide quality overall service.